In chronological order, up to 2014: Amazing time for sci-fi!
Men In Black III (2012) (Comedy, Scifi)
– More funny aliens
Metal Gear Solid (2012) (Thriller, Action, Scifi)
– Based on Konami’s Metal Gear Solid Vid-game story centers on Solid Snake, a retired soldier who infiltrates a nuclear weapons disposal facility to neutralize the terrorist threat from FOXHOUND, a renegade special forces unit. He attempts to liberate their two hostages, the head of DARPA and the president of a major arms manufacturer, and stops the terrorists from launching a nuclear strike.
Gears of War (2012) (Thriller, Action, Scifi)
– The game thrusts players into humankind’s epic battle for survival against the Locust Horde, a nightmarish race of creatures that surface from the bowels of the planet. The story unfolds as a ragtag group of soldiers use every last ounce of strength to survive the onslaught from the forces of evil, which begins on the historic Emergence Day.
Riddick (2012) (Thriller, Action, Scifi)
– Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick (Diesel) fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before. Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge.
Prometheus (2012) (Thriller, Action, Scifi)
– Alien prequel which isn’t really a prequel but a whole new mythology with strains of the alien mythology.
Dune (2012) (Scifi)
– A new adaptation of the Frank Herbert classic, Dune.
Dredd (2012) (Thriller, Action, Scifi)
– DREDD takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot – if necessary.
World War Z (2012) (Thriller, Action, Scifi)
– The story revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself.
Total Recall (2012) (Thriller, Action, Scifi)
– The film is a remake of the 1990 film that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger.
The Grays (2012) (Scifi)
– A triumvirate of Grays, known as the Three Thieves, has occupied a small Kentucky town for decades–abducting its residents and manipulating fates and bloodlines in hopes of creating an ultra-intelligent human being. Nine-year-old Conner Callahan will face the ultimate terror as he struggles to understand who he has been bred to be and what he must do to save humanity.
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo (2012) (Scifi, Fantasy, Sea Monster)
– A look at how Jules Verne’s classic character Captain Nemo created his underwater vessel, the Nautilus.
The Black Hole (2012) (Thriller, Scifi)
– In the original, the explorer craft U.S.S. Palomino is returning to Earth after a fruitless 18-month search for extra-terrestrial life when the crew comes upon a supposedly lost ship, the magnificent U.S.S. Cygnus, hovering near a black hole. The ship is controlled by Dr. Hans Reinhardt and his monstrous robot companion, Maximillian.
Mass Effect (2012) (Thriller, Action, Scifi)
– BioWare’s epic science fiction series takes place in the year 2183 and follows Commander Shepard of the SS Normandy who leads a team on a mission to defeat an ancient alien race that invades the galaxy every 50,000 years, wiping out all organic life.
Dead Space (2012) (Horror, Scifi)
– A sci-fi/horror film based on EA’s hit video game Dead Space. The story is set in the 26th century in deep space, where an engineer who responds to a distress signal from a mining ship finds the vessel infested with monstrous creatures called Necromorphs.
Mortal Engines (2012) (Action, Scifi)
– The books are set in a post-apocalyptic world where cities have become giant vehicles and must consume each other to survive. Mortal Engines is the first book in the series.
The Traveler (2012) (Thriller, Scifi)
– Traveler is set in a U.S. society run by a secret organization seeking to control the population via constant observation. Seeking to rebel against these constraints are an almost extinct group of people called Travelers, who can project their spirit into other dimensions, and their protectors, called Harlequins.
The End of Eternity (2012) (Scifi)
– Based on the Isaac Asimov time travel novel first published in 1955, the film is a futuristic tale in which humanity is controlled by a ruling class called Eternity, members of which can manipulate time to alter history and prevent disasters or wipe out undesirables. One of the time cops flirts with disaster when he breaks the cardinal Eternity rule and falls in love with a woman from another time period.
Dark Void (2012) (Scifi)
– A downed pilot in the Bermuda Triangle finds himself part of an alternate world where aliens are planning on taking over.
Passengers (2012) (Thriller, Scifi)
– Set in the future, Passengers centers on Jim Preston (Reeves), a mechanic on a 120-year journey to a distant colonized planet in another galaxy, who becomes the first traveler to experience pod hibernation failure. Having woken up 100 years too soon, he is stranded in the world of an interstellar spaceship with only robots and androids for companionship.
Machine Man (2012) (Thriller, Scifi)
– Machine Man centers on a tech-savvy man who decides to replace his body parts with high-end titanium upgrades. He realizes that other entities want to use him for their own ends.
The Something (2012) (Comedy, Scifi)
– The story, which the studio is keeping under wraps, is described as an ensemble comedy/horror hybrid set in deep space, similar in tone to Sony’s Zombieland.
Speed Demon (2012) (Comedy, Scifi)
– Speed Demon is about an underworld enforcer, who while hunting a small-time crook on a desert highway discovers that he is also being tracked by a mysterious, terrifying creature.
How To Survive A Robot Uprising (2012) (Comedy, Scifi)
– A technical administrator researches different ways of preventing robots from taking over the world. Based on a manual written by Daniel H. Wilson.
Singularity (2012) (Scifi/Unknown)
– Nothing is known about the story
Spaceless (2012) (Scifi)
– A man wakes up inside a spacesuit tumbling helplessly through space, with a computer designed to keep him company until his air runs out, trying to solve the mystery of his death.
Robocop (2013) (Action, Thriller, Scifi)
– Rumored plotline for the new film: Present day Los Angeles, 20 years after the termination of the RoboCop program, the city decides to reinstate the program.
– Far future film from District 9 writer/director Neill Blomkamp.
Pacific Rim (2013)
– Set in a future in which malevolent creatures threaten the earth, the planet must band together and use highly advanced technology to eradicate the growing menace.
– The film will feature Tom Cruise as a lone soldier stuck on an uninhabitable Earth’s surface, fixing drones that protect the planet — and its sky-bound clone citizens, who live above the polluted clouds — from attacking aliens. When he finds a beautiful woman in a fallen ship, adventure and an awakening of a past life love ensue.
– Explores the fate of the human race following a robot uprising.
The Forever War (2013)
– An elite task force returns home after a brief interstellar military operation, but discovers that 20 years have past and the planet they once knew is completely different.
All You Need Is Kill (2013)
– The storyline puts a Groundhog Day plot device into a futuristic alien invasion storyline. A raw recruit, pressed into battle against an alien species, gets killed in action. But he is reborn each day to suffer the same fate. Eventually, he notices that he is becoming a better warrior and that other circumstances are changing, which might be the key to altering the outcome.
– The film is based on two Dan Simmons sci-fi novels – Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. The story is set in the distant future, as a space war threatens Hyperion, a planet known for the Time Tombs – large artifacts that can move through time and are guarded by a gruesome monster called the Shrike.
Ender’s Game (2013)
– 70 years after a horrific alien war, an unusually gifted child is sent to an advanced military school in space to prepare for a future invasion.